The Hellenic Community of Pretoria (HCP) was founded on the 1 July 1908, and was officially inaugurated under the chairmanship of George Golfinopoulos.
The HCP has the following committees that are associated under the Main Council:
We also have two Independent Committees: Pretoria Hellenic Youth Committee (PHYC) and the Hellenic Sports Club Committee.
The community is devoted in keeping Hellenism alive by:
• Encouraging members to uphold and maintain our Orthodox religion, language, culture, heritage and traditions
• Uphold and maintain the status of the Greek Community
• Uphold and maintain the Greek School and Greek Dancing
• Address future needs of the second, third, fourth generation of Hellenes and
• Uphold the objectives as stipulated in our Constitution.
Today, the HCP has approximately 500 members, with about 120 pupils at four different school locations (Community School, Woodhill, Cornwall and St Paulus) and about 80 pupils learning traditional dances at the Community. We oversee the running of the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation of the Theotokos (Mother of God), School, Dancing and Cultural Centre. The HCP
is a member of the Federation of Hellenic Communities and celebrates Greek ethnic and religious events.
For any enquiries, donations or assistance please contact our community office. Call 0123621400 or email email@example.com.
2019 – 2021 Council:
Zack Kakoulla – President
Dino Kondos – Vice President
Andreas Katsouris – Secretary
Basil Sdralis – Vice Secretary
Aris Malliaros – Treasurer
Andreas Cotsiou – Vice Treasurer
Greg Patsalosavis – Committee Member
Francesca Malliaros – Committee Member
Penny Sdralis – Committee Member
Philip Voutsas – Committee Member
Natasha Kazantsas – Committee Member
Mimi Ioannou – Committee Member
Alex Marques – Committee Member
1906 – The Hellenes of Pretoria comprising of two small societies, the Hellenism Society and the Panhellenic Benevolent Society. At that time their desire of the Hellenes was to build a church and needed to organize a community.
1908 – The Hellenic Community of Pretoria was founded on the 1 July 1908, and was officially inaugurated under the chairmanship of George Golfinopoulos.
1912 – The council bought a site in Proes Street, Pretoria to be developed as a church and community centre.
1913 – The building of the Holy Community Church commenced and the church was dedicated to Annunciation of the Theotokos. The official and panegyric inauguration of the Holy Church took place on the site
Upon completion of the church building, the council proceeded to erect a building next to the church to house the community office, hall and school.
1935 – The council bought a two erven adjacent to the existing site and proceeded to build two blocks of flats, the Atheneum consisting of twelve flats and the Partenon consisting of nine flats, to provide income to the Community.
1956 – The first Hellenic Scout Group was founded, 33rd Pretoria Hellenic Scouts.
1963 – Mary Vasiliou first came to Pretoria to teach our youth how to dance.
1967 – The council bought a seventy morgen farm in Zwartkop area, for the purpose of establishing a social and sporting club for the Community.
1968 – The property at Proes Street, Pretoria was sold. It was then decided that the Community Centre be moved away from the city centre. A suitable site was found which consisted of four plots in Brooklyn, Pretoria (Lynnwood and Roper Street) opposite the University of Pretoria. The development started with the building of the new Community Church which was also dedicated to the Annunciation of the Theotokos.
1969 – The foundation stone of the new Community Church was laid at a special ceremony at which the Hellenic Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, Nicolaos VI officiated.
1972 – The newly erected Community Church was consecrated with due Byzantine pomp, which was officiated by the Hellenic Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, Nicolaos VI.
1975 – A second Scout Group was formed, 34th Pretoria Hellenic Scouts.
1982 – The Council proceeded with the erection of the Community office, Hellenic School, a Community Hall and other facilities. The building was completed in October 1983.
1984 – The official inauguration of the spiritual and cultural centre of the Community took place at which the Ambassador of Greece Mr Michael Papageorgiou officiated.
1986 – The Council bought a residential property situated at 49 Lynnwood Road.
1989 – The Council bought another residential property situated at 39 Lynnwood Road.
1990 – The Council bought yet another two residential properties situated at 41 and 43 Lynnwood Road.
1993 – The decoration of the inside walls and dome of the Church with religious iconography commenced. The expense was covered by the faithful.
1994 – The undeveloped portion of the club property at Zwartkops approximately 5 hectares was sold. The Council enlarged the Western side of the Communities Main Hall.
1996 – The main iconography was applied to the dome of the church, which lasted for several months. Church services were held in the Main Hall. 33rd and 34th Pretoria Hellenic Scouts joined forces.
2008 – The Hellenic Community of Pretoria turns 100 years.
2009 – The council started introducing Greek School lessons at different school locations with Pretoria.
2010 – The council upgrades the Main Hall by cladding the inside of the hall and by adding new air-conditioning units.
2013 – The council went out on tender for the disposal of Zwartkops. The property was sold by the end of 2013 to the highest bidder, after approval from the Special General Meeting.